Capital Audio Fest 2019

This year was my first attendance to C.A.F while it was a little smaller than AXPONA it was certainly just as much if not more thanks to it's more urban location and immediate access to a variety of fantastic restaurants most in walking distance from the venue!

Unlike AXPONA where I don't eat or socialize for three days, Capital Audio Fest more manageable itinerary and far superior location allowed for some excellent conversation and amazing meals. I mean what's better than talking audio over a good bowl of ramen!

Amazing ramen aside what really stole the show for me was the Abyss Diana Phi! It's smaller size and easier to driver transducer were simply stunning right from my portable stack. An while the staging was not as expansive as their full sized headphone, Diana Phi has every bit of detail and sheer power as it's bigger brother!

While it was simply stunning to listen to I still had some issues with fit and seal that I do not have with the classic Abyss Headphone. Namely the lack of left to right rotation of the ear cups and a loose grip on the upward and downward slider, these drawbacks had a massive impact on the seal & position of the driver. An sadly when the driver is not positioned 100% correct you'll experience obvious channel imbalances. However when you get it just right it's something else all together!

New from Dan Clark Audio, previously known as MrSpeakers, is their Aeon 2 Closed. As some one who adores the original Aeon Flow Closed I was ecstatic to see this unit on display! My understanding is this does draw from some of the new driver tech in Ether 2.  Tonally this is a step away from the darker/rich sound of Ether 2 and original Aeon Flow but what you get instead a dynamic more expansive and detailed presentation overall! Best of all it's priced at an aggressive $899 and it folds for easier transportation.

So without a more in depth in home listen I can't really share much else more than my excitement! While I did find it to be a little too lean on my current portable system I know that's more of an issue with the system than the headphone as my HD 800 is also too lean from this same portable stack. Hopefully I'll have a chance to hear this soon otherwise I may just have to purchase this and hear it for myself! Which if your a fan of HD 800 I highly recommend you do the very same, this is one of the first leaner drier voiced closed backs I've heard to present such an astounding sonic image!

Next up is a prototype open back planar from Andover Audio, this will be their first headphone in a series of three! The plan is to launch their mid range open back, pictured here first, and then introduce both an upgraded model and a more economically priced unit.

With two pads included and a choice of optional cables at purchase to help change the tonal balance I think this will be something to keep your eyes out for in 2020. As of right now tho I think they are on the right track with this tonally rich prototype!

I also got to hear the Rosson Audio Rad-0 which offers a nice mix of detail and balance with a fun tuning. While it wasn't quite my taste I can see the appeal for listeners who like a little more engagement.

ZMF Headphones also had a Verite Closed on display in the care of Linear Tube Audio, while I loved the tonality and detail I couldn't quite get adjusted to it's unique staging. For a high resolution closed back I wasn't really impressed with it's somewhat disjointed imaging. But tonally it was stunning, the bass was just as rich and powerful as always without being so forward and we finally get a closed back ZMF with some beautiful top end sparkle and shimmer! Hopefully I'll get to hear it again on a more favorable system as the my own HM901 running line into the MZ3 proved to be a poor match.

Two new Audio Technica wood backs from a series of three were present for the first time in the US! This will be a new trio of flagship closed back woodies an while I was excited to see them there were some issues getting their on site system to function. Still while stunning to look at I felt the new AT Woodbacks couldn't quite hold their value up again'st the Aeon 2 and Verite Closed back.

An finally we have not quite the best for last, while stunning I did not enjoy any of the Spirit Torino headphones. Beautiful build quality but the cups were far to heavy, not only were they uncomfortable it was difficult to achieve a proper seal. I guess apparently the sound signature this company aims for is akin to being at a live show and while the bass was indeed massive and the top end FORWARD... it lacked detail and resolution overall. Thankfully lovers of big bass and fun engaging sound signatures have a plethora of better options to choose from.

All in all I enjoyed my first time at the Capital Audio Fest and I look forward to next's years festival for more lovely listening, fantastic food and captivating conversations!

iFi iCan Special Edition