Audio Technica A900x



Ath A900x [$93 used]

Test Process

Source Win 7[Foobar2000 WASAPI] -> oDac -> MonoPrice Premium Coaxial Cables -> Matrix M Stage [0  [w1000x Akg K550/+18 db Gain Lme 49990 OpAmp]

Will be enjoyed at face, no comparisons to be made considering the price.

As always gain and volume are adjusted for each headphone. [To ensure each has equal volume levels, despite gain.]

7/9 Songs are without EQ, Benga-Invasion and Kidnap Kid-Animaux  do feature an EQ added by me. This should demonstrate the ability of a headphone to handle EQ.]

Personal Back-story  

I recently sold my old Beyerdynamic Dt 880 Pro 250 ohms, and since then I've been in search of something that captured it's sound! I think I may have found just such a can.


Build [5/5]

A little more plastic than I'm a fan of. But overall well built. Feel's sturdy.

Very Sturdy

Specs
Closed Back Dynamic Operating Principle
32 Ohm Impedance
100 db Sensitivity
42 Ohms
5 - 40,000k response

Ease of Use [Comfort/Fit/Isolation] [4/5]
The clamp is very strong, and the Wing system adjustment is seamless for my head. Very easy to put on, the sound does not change to much with fit because they really only fit on your head one way. It may be my big ears but there's only one comfortable fit for me, as opposed to the AKG K550 which slides around a little more with it's fit, changing it's sound as a result.

In addition, these cans actually isolate very well! Much more so than the w1000.


Sound Signature and Character

          Sound Stage:  A  wide sound stage, good instrument seperation. Lacking slightly in 3D sense of space.
           
         Sound Signature-  A more fun sound over all, the mids have good attack, as do the highs. Not entirely neutral, but the coloration is mild and leaves the can with a pleasant sound!


Sound [4/5]

Treble [5/5]- Awesome highs, great attack and air with good decay as well.

Mids [4/5]- Good tone, has a nice attack. Body is good but could be a touch lusher.

Bass [3.8/5] - Maybe a matter of preference over technicality, but for me the bass has a nice body to it. Very full, yet I'd like a little tighter bass. Still more natural and wooden bass tones where lovely!        And honestly, this can needs no eq for a kicking EDM experience!

For $100 used there's not to many options that compete with this wonderful headphone!

 Check out my full review [with song by song break down] at head-fi! 


iFi iCan Special Edition